Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Existential Crisis Time

Hi digital friends.

Now that the hype of finally being free from the delegated tedium of school has started to wear off, I'm entering the existential crisis stage of the summer. You know, that time when you're sitting on your bed happily watching old Friends episodes when suddenly your brain goes



"HEY LAZY CHILD WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?" "ARE YOU GOING TO PERISH IN A PILE OF BLANKETS AND MIND-NUMBING DISTRACTIONS?"



And then the answer feels like yes.



Source

Existential crises suck. But I feel like, at the rate of time-wasting at which modern teenagers are progressing, they are mostly justified. It's these midday heart attacks that eventually help us crawl out of our self-imposed social exile, after all.

Unless that's just me. 

However, there is a way to focus your energies towards escaping existential crises, I've realized.
Albert Einstein once said,

“If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things.”

I think that's also how to live a purposeful life. Find something you love to do. Decide to pursue it. Set a goal. 
Eventually, reach that goal. 

This is sort of trite advice, I realize, but it's important to remember that goals don't have to be dead-set on some singular, life-changing passion from the get-go. 
HYPHEN OVERLOAD. 

Really though, it's okay to sit down and decide "My goal is to read 40 pages before the month ends" without having a clue as to what your life passion is. That is totally okay. Good, even. Goal-setting is a practice, and as you practice with small goals, you will eventually realize, through the directions towards which your subconciously set goals point, what you actually enjoy doing in life

I didn't realize how much I liked writing until my monthly goals constantly read "Write 4 times." "Write 5 times." "Write 10 times."

I didn't realize how much I liked learning about science until my monthly goals were "Watch 3 scishow episodes." "Watch 5 Science360 videos." 

Goal-setting is a learning experience. About self-discipline, yes, but also about yourself. About your existence. 

Goals, man. Gotta have 'em. 



Have fun this summer, you guys, and good luck with any existential crises that stop by for a visit. 
Enjoy loveliness and remember to muse. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment